Monday, March 21, 2011

As for the red pen, give it a rest...

Last summer, I spent the entire month of July participating in the Capital Area Writing Project.  Obviously, we learned about writing:  how to teach writing, how to improve our own writing, what makes a "good" writer or piece of writing.  But before we could really concentrate on those important aspects of writing, we discussed at length the experiences that shaped us as writers, or in some cases, non-writers. Without exception, each member of the class shared at least one, sometimes more than one, experience where a former teacher had a lasting impact on his or her writing development.  We heard a few stories about inspirational teachers whose passion for writing and teaching writing positively impacted their students and helped them to cultivate a love of writing themselves.  Unfortunately, we heard more than a few stories of teachers whose flare with the red correction pen stifled not only student creativity, but their overall confidence and feelings of self-efficacy when it came to writing.  Some even referred to papers that appeared to be 'streaked with blood' from strokes of red pen.  Forgive them Father, for they know not what they've done... 

This week's readings, took me back, so to speak, to those weeks in July when so much time was spent completely immersed in writing.  Most relevant would be Haswell's discussion regarding the marking/correcting of student papers, and whether the shortcuts we as educators develop both lighten the workload and help students to improve their writing. I've often wondered whether the time I invest in helping students to correct and revise their drafts, through my review and ultimately individual conferences, actually makes a difference.  I've come to the conclusion, after seeing final drafts submitted post-conference, that some students actually take to heart the suggestions and discussions we have regarding their writing.  They care about what I have to say, because they know that I care about them.  I've also concluded that some students, no matter how much time, effort, and positive reinforcement I share with them, just plain do not want to write.  Have they, at the tender age of nine, already been positively or negatively impacted by a teacher or life experience with regard to writing?  (My personal trauma occurred when I was five years old and attending a Catholic kindergarten, thus the earlier comment...) 

I also found Haswell's discussion on the communication, or lack thereof, between teachers and students of particular interest, as well as the inconsistent expectations among teachers.  The five activity nodes of  Du Gay's 'Circuit of Culture'  also helped put this communication, as well as the difficulties of  instructional response overall, into perspective for me.  Although elementary classrooms are self-contained for the most part, we do on occassion share students in particular subjects.  We often have "team meetings" to ensure that our expectations in these subjects are consistent across the grade level, but what about vertical expectations from one grade to another throughout the District?  It seems that it still boils down to building a strong foundation at the elementary level, so that students are later able to build upon that foundation in higher grades.    

I feel like my mind is going a million miles an hour (too much coffee?), so I'm not sure how well I'm articulating my thoughts.  But I'll close by saying that having had this school year off, I've had time for a lot of personal and professional reflection, and  this week's readings have given me additional insight as to what kind of teacher I want to be when I return to the classroom in August.  I've given an abundance of thought to the challenges of teaching, the importance of our jobs, and how the attitudes and enthusiasm that we "deliver" in our classrooms impact our students.  I hope that come August, I will enter my classroom refreshed, enlightened, and ready to face the ever-changing challenges that education presents.      

3 comments:

  1. Lora, I think you already have a leg up on your colleagues by simply reflecting and continuing your search for what works. I always feel so inspired as I read our texts and attend professional development. Reflection is a huge part of lesson planning for present and future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way in that I am looking forward to getting back to the classroom someday as a more enlightened professional. I voiced in my blog how upsetting it is for me to discover the inadequacies of my teacher education courses. We spent a lot more time talking about what to wear than about how to respond to student writing, and I think new teachers need better on the job training as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to echo those before me--I really think that my classes over this past year have really impacted my philosohpy of teaching and my ideas about curriculum design. I can't wait to get back into a classroom.

    That's not to say it's all rainbows and sunshine, because as we all know, there's theory and idea and then there's applying them in the classroom ;). But I think that knowing what I now about writing and where the ideas come from and how the process varies from person to person will help me when it comes to the students who don't read the comments and don't want to revise or do the work. That maybe the way I frame my instruction and look at their errors will help build trust, motivation, and comfort level . . . and encourage even the most reluctant writers to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete